Social Care (Self-directed Support) (Scotland) Act 2013
Scottish Government, 2013
The Act gives people a range of options for how their social care is delivered, beyond just direct payments, empowering people to decide how much ongoing control and responsibility they want over their own support arrangements.
Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007
Scottish Government, 2007
Self-directed support guidance
Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000
Iriss on risk
Institute for Research and Innovation in Social Services, 2017
Public Bodies (Joint Working) (Scotland) Act 2014
Scottish Government, 2014
Christie Commission on the Future Delivery of Public Services
Effective Approaches to Risk Assessment in Social Work:
An International Literature Review
Social Work Research Centre,
University of Stirling, 2007
Positive Risk Management Good Practice Guidance : Supporting Individual
Choice and Control
Scottish Borders Council, NHS Borders, 2011
Risk and self-directed support : Points on Practice
Coalition of Care and support Providers in Scotland, 2014
Effective-deployment/Working with risk
Skills for Care, 2014
Risk, trust and relationships in an ageing society
Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2012
Guidance for social workers on managing risks in self-directed support
Social Care Institute for Excellence, 2011
Books and Articles
- Altrum Risk Research Team (2011) Working together in adult support and protection: Views and tools of people who access support.
- Barry M (2007) Effective approaches to risk assessment in social work: An international literature review, Edinburgh: The Scottish Government.
- Beck U (1998) Politics of risk society, in J Franklin (ed), The politics of risk society, Cambridge: Polity Press
- Brown L (2010) Balancing risk and innovation to improve social work practice, British Journal of Social Work
- Carr S (2013) Enabling risk, ensuring safety: Self-directed support and personal budgets, Adult services report, Social Care Institute for Excellence
- Department of Health (2010) Nothing ventured nothing gained: Risk guidance for people with dementia.
- Finlayson S (2016) Stop worrying about risk
- Galpin D and Hughes D (2011) A joined up approach to safeguarding and personalisation: A framework for practice in multi-agency decision making, The Journal of Adult Protection
- Glasby J (2011) Whose risk is it anyway? Risk and regulation in an era of personalisation, Journal of Care Services Management
- Gutnik LA, Hakimzada AF, Yoskowitz NA et al (2006) The role of emotion in decision making: A cognitive neuroeconomic approach towards understanding sexual risk behaviour, Journal of Biomedical Informatics
- Hunter S, Manthorpe J, Ridley J et al (2012) When self-directed support meets adult support and protection: Findings from the evaluation of the SDS test sites in Scotland, The Journal of Adult Protection
- Kemshall H (2012) Risk, social policy and welfare, Buckingham: Open University Press
- Neill M, Allen J, Woodhead N et al (2008) A positive approach to risk requires person centred thinking, Think Local, Act Personal.
- Pattoni L (2014) Iriss On… Failure, Glasgow: Iriss.
- Prevention Action (2011) New, but not improved: Managing the risks of innovation
- Scottish Human Rights Commission (2013) Scotland’s National Action Plan for Human Rights.
- Stanley T (2005) Making decisions: social work processes and the construction of risk(s) in child protection work, PhD thesis, University of Canterbury
- Slovic P, Finucane ML, Peters E et al (2004) Risk as analysis and risk as feelings: Some thoughts about affect, reason, risk, and rationality, Risk Analysis
- Stewart A, Curtice L and Petch A (2003) Moving towards integrated working in health and social care in Scotland: From maze to matrix. Journal of Interprofessional Care
- Titterton M (2005) Risk and risk taking in health and social welfare, London: Jessica Kingsley